Salah-Eldin A Mohammed
Born: May 20, 1946
B.Sc. University of Khartoum, Sudan l970; M.Sc., University of Dundee, Dundee, Scotland 1972
Ph.D., University of Warwick, England, 1976.
thesis: ; advisor: Prof. J. Eells
Professor of Mathematics Southern Illinois University
area of degree: Stochastic analysis, deterministic and stochastic hereditary dynamical systems, probabilistic analysis of PDEs
personal or universal URL: http://www.math.siu.edu/mohammed/ and http://salah.math.siu.edu/
A boyhood in an impoverished, obscure village in the Sudan hasn't stopped Salah Mohammed from winning recognition as one of America's leading mathematicians.
Research Interests and Specialties:
Global analysis. Theory of functional differential equations (on manifolds). Stochastic analysis. Theory of
stochastic ordinary and functional differential equations. Stochastic hereditary dynamical systems. Malliavin
Calculus. Probabilistic analysis of partial differential equations.
Dr. Mohammed has reseived numerous research awards and professor ships. He held:
British Science and Engineering Research Council (SERC) Fellowship; British Council Visiting Fellowship; Visiting Fellowship at NSF Institute of Mathematics and its Applications, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis; Alexander von Humboldt-Stiftung Fellowship; Research Professorship, Mathematical Research Institute (MSRI).
Dr. Mohammed has given thirty three invited talks nationally and internationally. He has published two books and twenty-five papers.
1. Mohammed, S. E. A. Stochastic functional differential equations. Research Notes in Mathematics, 99. Pitman (Advanced Publishing Program), Boston, Mass.-London, 1984. vi+245 pp. ISBN: 0-273-08593-X
- Mohammed, Salah-Eldin A.; Scheutzow, Michael K. R. The stable manifold theorem for stochastic differential equations. Ann. Probab. 27 (1999), no. 2, 615--652.
- Bell, Denis R.; Mohammed, Salah-E. A. The Dirichlet problem for superdegenerate differential operators. C. R. Acad. Sci. Paris Sér. I Math. 327 (1998), no. 1, 81--86.
- Mohammed, Salah-Eldin A. Stochastic differential systems with memory: theory, examples and applications. Stochastic analysis and related topics, VI (Geilo, 1996), 1--77, Progr. Probab., 42, Birkhäuser Boston, Boston, MA, 1998.
- Mohammed, Salah-Eldin A.; Scheutzow, Michael K. R. Lyapunov exponents of linear stochastic functional-differential equations. II. Examples and case studies. Ann. Probab. 25 (1997), no. 3, 1210--1240.
- Mohammed, Salah-Eldin A.; Scheutzow, Michael K. R. Spatial estimates for stochastic flows in Euclidean space. Ann. Probab. 26 (1998), no. 1, 56--77.
- Bell, Denis R.; Mohammed, Salah-Eldin A. Smooth densities for degenerate stochastic delay equations with hereditary drift. Ann. Probab. 23 (1995), no. 4, 1875--1894.
- Mohammed, Salah-Eldin A.; Scheutzow, Michael K. R. Lyapunov exponents of linear stochastic functional differential equations driven by semimartingales. I. The multiplicative ergodic theory. Ann. Inst. H. Poincaré Probab. Statist. 32 (1996), no. 1, 69--105.
- Bell, Denis R.; Mohammed, Salah Eldin A. An extension of Hörmander's theorem for infinitely degenerate second-order operators. Duke Math. J. 78 (1995), no. 3, 453--475.
- Bell, Denis R.; Mohammed, Salah Eldin A. Degenerate stochastic differential equations, flows, and hypoellipticity. Stochastic analysis (Ithaca, NY, 1993), 553--564, Proc. Sympos. Pure Math., 57, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, RI, 1995.
- Bell, Denis R.; Mohammed, Salah Eldin A. Hypoelliptic parabolic operators with exponential degeneracies. C. R. Acad. Sci. Paris Sér. I Math. 317 (1993), no. 11, 1059--1064.
- Mohammed, Salah Eldin A. Lyapunov exponents and stochastic flows of linear and affine hereditary systems. Diffusion processes and related problems in analysis, Vol. II (Charlotte, NC, 1990), 141--169, Progr. Probab., 27, Birkhäuser Boston, Boston, MA, 1992.
- Bell, Denis R.; Mohammed, Salah Eldin A. The Malliavin calculus and stochastic delay equations. J. Funct. Anal. 99 (1991), no. 1, 75--99.
- Mohammed, Salah Eldin A.; Scheutzow, Michael K. R. Lyapunov exponents and stationary solutions for affine stochastic delay equations. Stochastics Stochastics Rep. 29 (1990), no. 2, 259--283.
- Bell, Denis R.; Mohammed, Salah E. A. On the solution of stochastic ordinary differential equations via small delays. Stochastics Stochastics Rep. 28 (1989), no. 4, 293--299.
- Mohammed, S. E. A. Unstable invariant distributions for a class of stochastic delay equations. Proc. Edinburgh Math. Soc. (2) 31 (1988), no. 1, 1--23.
- Mohammed, S. E. A. Nonlinear flows of stochastic linear delay equations. Stochastics 17 (1986), no. 3, 207--213.
- Mohammed, S. E. A. Stability of linear delay equations under a small noise. Proc. Edinburgh Math. Soc. (2) 29 (1986), no. 2, 233--254.
- Mohammed, S.; Scheutzow, M.; von Weizsäcker, H. Hyperbolic state space decomposition for a linear stochastic delay equation. SIAM J. Control Optim. 24 (1986), no. 3, 543--551.
- Mohammed, S. E. A. The infinitesimal generator of a stochastic functional-differential equation. Ordinary and partial differential equations (Dundee, 1982), pp. 529--538, Lecture Notes in Math., 964, Springer, Berlin-New York, 1982
ref. Dr. Mohammed's home page.
The web pages
MATHEMATICIANS OF THE AFRICAN DIASPORA
are brought to you by
The Mathematics Department of
The State University of New York at Buffalo.
They are created and maintained
Scott W. Williams
Professor of Mathematics